The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that every child should be seen by an orthodontist at the first signs of orthodontic problems OR no later than age 7. Through research, it has been shown that interceptive (early) orthodontics is so incredible helpful! What that means is that Orthodontists can intercept a problem before it happens and gets more complicated. That is why it is very important to see an Orthodontist early! An Orthodontist can detect subtle problems with jaw growth and teeth that are first starting to come into the mouth, even when baby teeth are still present.
- While you might think that your child's teeth look normal, an orthodontist can pick up a problem, before it is obvious.
- Your child's bite may be okay at this time, but if there are sublet signs present, the bite might have to be monitored. The reason is that if a problem is brewing, your child will be treated at the appropriate time, resulting in fewer problems in the future.
- We can correct harmful oral habits that might result in a complicated Orthodontic case if not treated early.
- Some cases are very crowded, and if not treated early with expansion appliances, there might not be enough room for all of their permanent teeth.
- Improve your child's self esteem if they are unhappy with how their teeth appear.
- Guide permanent teeth into better positions as they erupt, reducing the amount of time your child will be in braces are indicated.
- Improve the way their lips meet, thus protecting their upper front permanent teeth.
- Timely treatment may prevent serious problems from developing resulting in less time in braces and the cases are not as complicated and much more stable.
Oral health care is a very important part to the overall health of your child. If you would like an orthodontic consultation or have any additional questions please feel free to call our office to schedule and appointment with one of our orthodontists